Welcome to my blog! I've curated cutting edge content on all of my favorite topics to share with you. Enjoy the read and let me know what you think.
Finding Focus, Favor and Freedom in 2020January 27, 2020 January 27, 2020
The beginning of the year is a great time to evaluate all that happened over the past year and to look ahead into the possibilities of the new year. At the end of last year, I heard the Lord say, “2020 is a year of focus, favor, and freedom.” Do you want more focus, favor, and freedom in your personal life and in the lives of the people around you? What does it look like to have focus?
In the spirit, I saw a picture of a camera lens. When I looked through the lens I noticed the viewfinder was blurry. Dust and lint had distorted the picture. God began to show me how to clean my “life” lenses so that I could have a sharp focus. Only when we have clean lenses can we rightly see the Father, ourselves and the world around us.
When I turned 50, I was teasing one of my friends for wearing reading glasses not realizing that I needed them myself. It’s time we take an evaluation of our lenses and begin to clean off anything that may be hindering our view. Maybe you regret a bad decision, unforgiveness towards someone who hurt you or guilt and shame from your past. Matthew 5:8 says, “Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God.” 2020 is the year to let Go and let God give you a new perspective.
Let’s look at a few practical ways we can sharpen our focus:
1. Take inventory. What are you carrying into 2020 that’s from your old season into 2020? Allow the Light of His Love to come in and erase the darkness.
2. Ask Holy Spirit, “Am I seeing God clearly? Am I seeing His goodness when I see myself?” You will only be able to see things right if you see Him clearly.
3. Do you have any blind spots? Ask your friends, “How have you experienced me lately? Are there any negative cycles you’ve noticed?”
Clear focus allows you to see the treasure in people instead of their sinful nature. You will begin to see the world with eyes of love. I share more about this subject in my book, Seeing Through Heaven’s Eyes. It is important for each of us to have the right perspective in our view of God. I want everyone to have 2020 vision!
Clear focus attracts favor with God and man. Luke 2:52 says, “And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.”
Even Jesus grew in wisdom, stature, and favor with God and man. There are some people who have favor with God but not with man. Then there are others who have incredible favor with man but have no idea how to steward the favor of God. Wisdom is the key!
1. If I continue to ask for favors from people I have favor with, eventually my favor will run out. If I continue to add value to the people that I have favor with, then I will continue to gain favor.
2. Spending time with God gains favor. The Bible says the Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom and knowing the Holy One is understanding (Proverbs 9:10) As you get to know God, you will begin to release His favor because He trusts you to represent Him well. This gives us the ability to gain favor with man.
So, what do you do when you gain favor with God?
3. Perhaps you’ve been in the secret place and have even gained favor with God but don’t know how to influence the world around you with love. When making a decision, you’ll ask, “Should I do this or that?” Wisdom is not always “is this right or wrong.” The best question to ask is “based upon my past, present, and future, is this the wise thing to do?” You will then have wisdom and clarity to be fully focused on what God has for you. As you honor God and the people around you, you will learn to steward favor and know when to use it.
This is the year to experience freedom from fear! There are so many things in our lives that produce fear. My definition for fear is False Evidences Appearing Real. Did you know that 91% of what we fear will happen never actually happens?
1. Perfect love casts out fear. When we say “yes” to Jesus and abide in His perfect love, fear must leave! The bible says in 1 John 4:8 that God is love. His son Jesus, represents perfect love and chose to live in you (Colossians 1:27). Fear moves out with love moves in.
2. Break up with shame. As we experience His life-giving freedom, we must leave shame behind us. One of my favorite verses to meditate on is Psalm 34:4-5. It says “I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from ALL my fears. Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are NEVER covered with shame.
3. Be Vulnerable. Shame will cause us to hide and blame our issues on the people around us, just like we saw in the garden in the book of Genesis. Vulnerability is the greatest weapon against shame. The enemy loves to blackmail us and tell us we can never escape our circumstances. When you choose to be vulnerable it not only brings you freedom but your testimony releases a breakthrough for others to step into freedom. We have heard the common phrase “shame on you” but I say to you today shame OFF you. Who the Son sets free is free indeed.
Take a moment right now to assess your lens. Is there anything on your lens that is affecting your vision? If you are looking at your past, is there guilt telling you who you are?
When you look in the mirror do you see shame trying to blackmail you? Or perhaps as you look into the future, you sense restlessness and feel fear creeping in?
I want to bless you with freedom. Who the Son sets free is free indeed (John 8:36). Jesus took all guilt and shame when He died on the cross for you. I can assure you of this: the Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit are fully invested in your wholeness this year.
Check your lenses on a daily basis. As you do, you will continue to move into 2020 with Focus, Favor and Freedom. Remember, You are healed! You are strong! You are free!
If you would like to read more about God’s perspective, I encourage you to spend some time reading my book Seeing Through Heaven’s Eyes.
Do you listen to my podcast, Kingdom Family Talks? Click here to listen to my last episode, Finding Focus, Favor and Freedom for 2020.
Get a Free Teaching
Sign up for an exclusive teaching by Leif & the latest from Global Mission Awareness